How to memorize anything and easily.

OverSight

I think this is a good guide for everyone because you can apply this to league and life in general. I think if you're going to script effectively, you'll likely need to still remember a lot of league concepts at higher elos because scripting only covers your mechanics. Scripting can't exactly save your game knowledge. 

Before I start, I should give a little bit of background of how memory works. 

image.png.cd70e68d30ec02f31c921d2f17c9884c.png

This is the forgetting curve. When we remember something, the information we remember is retained almost perfectly in the beginning, but it will fall off exponentially. I am going to try to write about how you can efficiently remember things and discuss the best practices. Understand that your brain is tries to prune out information that it thinks is not really necessary for its survival and that's why we tend to forget things if we do not revisit them.

To retain new information you've stored, we want to interrupt this forgetting curve. 

Let me give you an example of what I mean. 

A lot of students will review the same piece of information like this:

Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Test date

However, a more effective schedule would be:

Day 1, Day 3, Day 7, Test date

Doing it this way not only takes you less time to memorize something but also gives you a better encoding of the memory than if you did it everyday. If you space out the times you try to recall something, these memories will go into long-term memory and be encoded and decrease the probability that you will forget it in the future. 

Your practice should be interleaved with other things and give time for your brain to digest information.

In addition, if you want to memorize something quickly, your brain has to expend cognitive effort on it. 

If you are going to memorize something, DO NOT do the following.

- Highlight (no scientific evidence to show that this helps with recall)

- Reread (very low yield way to memorize)

Instead, you should do activities that force you to recall the information later in a meaningful way. 

Ex. 

We are trying to memorize a date such as when did Benjamin Franklin die. The question you would ask yourself would be:

When did Benjamin Franklin die? Answer: April 17, 1970

Simply asking yourself the question is enough cognitive effort to help your brain encode this memory. 

Other ways of forcing your brain to expend effort to memorize something are

- Fill in the blank statements. 

- Spider diagrams for one topic

- Asking yourself to recall the steps to a procedure or pattern

- Making a memory palace (Go around your house and place notecards of a word or concept you need to memorize and then imagine yourself walking through your place with those concepts. Very effective for people in memory competitions.)

If you want to stream line this process, you can use a tool called Anki. 

https://apps.ankiweb.net/

This tool is essentially a fancy flashcard program that keeps track of the cards you are weak at. However, what is great about Anki is that it does take advantage of spaced repetition and only has you memorize cards on a set schedule. 

(I will likely make a guide for Anki if people are interested)

I hope you guys found this guide interesting and helpful!

• 2 weeks later...